Controlling mould is an important step in maintaining your home’s indoor air quality. In order for mould to grow, high moisture levels are required. Keeping your house “dry” should reduce the chances of any serious problems taking hold. Try and maintain the relative humidity (Rh) in your home at about 40% whenever possible. Moulds usually require a humidity level of at least 50% to grow and growth under 65% is not common. If mould growth is noticed, remove it using a solution of bleach and water. A “drop” of detergent can be added but don’t add too much because detergent is “sticky” and a great breeding ground for mould. If you can, try and determine the cause of the problem.
Mould and the cleaning/removal of it have serious health and safety concerns related to it. Always take the proper precautions and wear proper attire when cleaning it (e.g. protective gloves, respirator, etc.). If you’re allergic to mould don’t clean it. For some, simply touching mould can cause severe allergic reactions and in extreme cases fatalities.
Here are some items you can try which should help keep your home free from mould and its related health problems.
- Make sure your exterior walls, basement, and, attic are insulated and have vapour barriers
- Check the venting of your heating system
- Clean and maintain humidifiers & dehumidifiers
- Don’t use carpet in high moisture areas like the bathroom, kitchen and laundry room
- Check for mould growth on window ledges, bathtubs, showers and other high moisture areas
- Don’t dry laundry indoors on a line
- Don’t keep damp laundry around
- Don’t overcrowd closets or cabinets and allow air to circulate
- Dry off shower and bath surrounds after every use
- Use exhaust fans in the bathroom and kitchen.
- Use a heat recovery ventilator (HRV) or air exchanger to exhaust moist, stale inside air and replace it with fresh outside air.