It’s not always top of mind, or even a task many like to undertake, however pruning vegetation back from around your home is very important.
While trees, shrubs, and various other plantings around your house can add curb appeal, there are a number of concerns that bushes against your home or vegetation growing up & against exterior walls can do, for example, it can:
- interfere with the operation of your windows and doors
- damage building materials e.g. brickwork, siding, stucco
- retain water / moisture / snow / ice that can penetrate into your home
- make home maintenance very difficult e.g. caulking, painting
- reduce the number of insects in or around your home
- trees or tree branches that overhang your roof can damage shingles (or other property around the home), increase moss / algae / lichen growth on shingles
- interfered with the operation of your eavestroughs or fill them with debris so they don’t drain properly
- tree / plant roots can damage your foundation walls.
During inspections we’ve carried out, we’ve seen vegetation outside the home grow into the house. If you’ve been postponing pruning vegetation from around your home…consider adding it to your Saturday morning job jar 🙂