What can cause melted wires or connections to overheat? It may be as a result of of a number of things, for example:
- a loose connection
- a wire pulled from its termination screw
- wire insulation under the connection screw
- the metal wire itself may have deteriorated
- a defective device such as a circuit breaker, receptacle, light switch
- improper wiring methods
- a broken wire
Often before things stop working, the connection carries current but through a bad conductor it typically creates heat. Often, it takes years for an overheated connection to reach the point where power is disrupted. However, with heat and electrical connections you have the real risk of a potential fire / shock hazard.
If you’re unsure about your homes’ electrical, melted wires or overheated connections – get it inspected!