The venting of dangerous combustion gases is critical. Done incorrectly, it can be fatal. So you might find it odd that we see disconnected vent pipes as often as we do, whether it be from a furnace, water heater or other fossil fuel burning appliance. Regardless, it can spell disaster!
In this case, the vent pipe had been leaking condensate for some time onto the cold air return ductwork below it. That means that dangerous by-products of combustion such as carbon monoxide, formaldehyde & nitrogen dioxide are also entering the home affecting the air that you breathe. In sufficient quantities it can be fatal. This vent pipe was not only disconnected outside of the furnace but inside the furnace cabinet as well.
Sometimes, the vent pipes are not disconnected but have their fittings not glued completely. This can allow lower levels of contaminants into your indoor air and may only make you feel sick. Regardless, its critical to ensure that your indoor air quality (IAQ) is the best it can be so you do not run the risk of illness or something much worse.
Have you seen the doctor lately? Houses need check-ups too…call us & get it inspected!