Interested in steam showers but not sure what’s involved? Steam therapy isn’t new and it’s said to improve overall health, not to mention your spirits too.
The moisture that a steam unit generates however is considerable and can cause damage not only to the shower stall itself but the entire bathroom, unless it’s built properly from the studs out to make it steam / waterproof. The moisture created can also cause problems with mould if the shower is not properly constructed.
While the building of a stream shower is similar to a regular shower, there are some distinct differences that must be addressed. You need to ensure for example that you:
- slope the shower stall ceiling slightly;
- protect the wood studs with 6-mil poly-sheeting;
- seal the seams of any concrete board;
- cover the concrete board with a waterproof membrane;
- seal around any fixtures that penetrate the tile (such as shower / steam heads, digital controls, and valves) with the gaskets;
- have a great exhaust fan.
Properly built, steam showers can be relaxing and a good stress reliever. Design & install your steam shower for years of worry free use.