Combustion spillage from burning fossil fuels in your home can make you very sick or worse yet, be deadly!
Do you have one of these fossil fuel burning appliances in your home:
- wood stove
- wood burning fireplace
- gas fireplace
- furnace that uses natural gas, fuel oil or propane
- water heater that uses natural gas, fuel oil or propane
- natural gas or propane BBQ
- gas cook stove / range
- portable oil or kerosene heaters
- combination oil / wood furnace
The above and other fossil fuel burning appliances must have their combustion gases vented to the outdoors. Otherwise, dangerous gases may escape into your home and cause serious health & safety concerns. In the case of a BBQ, you don’t want to use it in your garage or close to an opening in your house where fumes can come indoors.
The number of houses with potentially significant spillage is increasing according to CMHC. Toxic compounds found in the smoke and invisible gases from combustion gas spillage can cause everything from headaches, serious illness and death. Carbon Monoxide (CO) is one common by-product of combustion, but it can also include carbon dioxide, nitrogen dioxide, sulphur dioxide, formaldehyde and particulates too. Warning signs of spillage can include upper respiratory issues, repeated headaches, skin & throat irritations, combustion odours, soot stains and hot/muggy air by the furnace. Having working smoke and CO alarms are a must, but they will not detect other combustion gases such a nitrogen dioxide, sulphur dioxide, formaldehyde. Protect the ones you love, monitor your home’s indoor air quality (IAQ) for combustion spillage and if you aren’t sure how to do it, have it tested.