On October 15, 2014, the new Hawkins-Gignac Act (Carbon Monoxide Detector Law) received Royal Assent in Ontario making carbon monoxide detectors in all homes and rental properties mandatory, effective immediately. It applies to buildings with one or more suites designed for residential occupancy; and, that has a fuel burning appliance installed or contains a storage garage.
Carbon monoxide (CO) is a by-product of combustion of fossil fuels e.g. natural gas, propane, oil, kerosene and wood to mention but a few. If you have a furnace, fireplace, stove water, heater, generator, area heater or clothes dryer fueled by one of these sources then it has the potential to leak carbon monoxide into your home.
Play it safe – make sure you have working carbon monoxide detectors in your, it’s the law. If you’re looking for a great life-saving gift to give your loved ones and friends, consider a carbon monoxide detector.