If you’re looking to buy a home that was a former marijuana grow op, you had best take a long hard look at it. There are many things which can impact the home itself as well as the occupants health.
There are many signs that a house may have been a marijuana grow-op, here are just a few:
- modifications made to the ventilation, vents / venting or ductwork
- no snow is present on the roof compared with other homes in the neighbourhood
- there is enhanced security outdoors
- stains are evident on exterior walls
- condensation / high humidity present on windows and or walls
- the electrical service, meter and or distribution panel has been tampered with
- there are concealed entryways
- signs of mould suspected
- there is an odd / peculiar odour in the home
- the home has considerable water hoses / electrical cords present
- electrical work has not been professionally done, improvised / modified
- there are holes in the foundation wall, floors or ceilings
- round stains on the floors where suspected plants sat
Your lender and or homeowner’s insurance broker may not lend on a home that was a former marijuana grow-op or have additional requirements of you before lending on the property. If you’re paying cash or find an alternate lender willing to lend against the home, keep in that whoever you sell it to down the road may have those requirements imposed on them.
Keep in mind…not all houses that are used as a marijuana grow-op are caught by the police. As a result, the homes don’t get labelled as a “marijuana grow-op” and worse yet can go undetected. One more reason you’ll want to have the house thoroughly inspected before buying.
If you have concerns that the house you are buying may have been a marijuana grow-op, talk to your realtor and or lawyer…and no matter what, get it inspected!